Learning to play an instrument engages the brain in multiple areas such as the visual, auditory and motor cortices. Structured ensemble and home practice strengthens the brain function and allows students to apply these strengths in other subjects.
Norwood offers tuition in the following instruments:
- Violin, viola, cello and double bass
- Flute, clarinet, alto sax, tenor sax, oboe and bassoon
- Trumpet, trombone, French horn and tuba
- Band Percussion, including xylophone, glockenspiel, timpani and drum kit
- Piano and keyboard
- Acoustic/electric guitar and electric bass
Enrolment for 2019
For current Norwood students wishing to learn an instrument in 2019. Please fill in the enrolment form via the link below before 15 October 2018
Lessons are provided on a rotating basis, so that students do not miss the same class each week. Where possible, solo lessons for Years 11 and 12 are held in one of their study periods. The instrument chosen may be incorporated into classroom electives in Years 10-12.
All students learning an instrument must participate in an ensemble such as Junior Band, Junior Strings, Concert Band, String Ensemble or Chorale.
There is an annual music camp where students have fun learning new pieces and making new friends.